Mark and his wife moved to Victoria in 2011 from Vancouver, BC. He has spent a lifetime boating this amazing coast from Seattle to Desolation Sound and from Vancouver to Tofino. In addition to being an avid reader, Mark takes advantage of Victoria’s great outdoor life by running (including the TC 10K) and now road cycling. He hopes to complete the Tour de Victoria in 2018.
Since his first volunteering experience in grade 10, Mark has always been involved in his community. He currently serves on the board of the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority which operates Canada’s largest cruise port.
Before joining Odlum Brown, Mark founded and ran two privately held businesses, both of which were successfully sold. He first read about Warren Buffett in Fortune magazine in the mid 1980’s and since then has become a dedicated student of both Mr. Buffett and his partner Charlie Munger.
Mark’s clients tend to be high-net-worth professionals and business people with sophisticated investment, estate and financial planning needs. This being said, Mark does not use “minimums” when considering new client relationships, but focuses more on “fit.” While some clients are at or near retirement with interests in maximizing quality of life and planning legacies for family and charities, many are successful mid-career families who wish to capitalize on opportunities while accumulating wealth.
Great investing is done not by buying and selling, but by owning and holding high-quality securities and by receiving interest, dividends and increases in value. Mark believes that without targets, an investor is flying blind. Consequently, he works closely with Odlum Brown Financial Services Limited* to develop financial plans unique to each client. These plans then form the right investment strategy; in other words, how much money is needed for retirement, charitable gifts or estate planning purposes, and what needs to be done to get there.
- Over 20 years of financial and business experience.
- Founded his first business in the hospitality sector at the age of 22, grew it to more than 60 employees.
- Received the Certified Management Accountants Society of BC’s province-wide Top Talent Award for leadership and academic excellence in 2009.
- Was a core member of the team that formed entrepreneurship@UBC, including the creation of an early stage investment fund which has since funded 29 student start-up businesses that have gone on to raise $130 million in angel and venture capital.
- Director, Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, Chair Infrastructure Planning and Development Committee, Vice-Chair Audit and Finance Committee
- Director, Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce
- Founder, J. Donald Mawhinney QC Lectureship in Professional Ethics, Peter A. Allard School of Law, UBC
- Monthly CFAX 1070 radio guest talking about leadership and entrepreneurship
- Director, Tourism Victoria (2015 to 2017)
- Past Chair and Co-founder, Fairway Gorge Paddling Club
- Past Chair, Victoria Dragon Boat Festival Society
- Past Co-Chair, UBC Alumni Centre Committee (2003 to 2013)
- Director, UBC Alumni Association (2003 to 2012)
- Chartered Professional Accountant, Certified Management Accountant
- Bachelor of Arts (Economics) from the University of British Columbia
- Wealth Management Essentials, Canadian Securities Course and Conduct and Practices Handbook Course from the Canadian Securities Institute
*Odlum Brown Financial Services Limited is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Odlum Brown Limited offering life insurance products, retirement, estate and financial planning exclusively to Odlum Brown clients.