Mark’s role as an Investment Advisor is to act on clients’ behalf by being careful and disciplined. Great investing is done not by buying and selling, but by owning and holding high-quality securities and by receiving interest, dividends and increases in value.
Every client has their own tolerance for risk, their own level of investment knowledge and their own financial objectives. Using the hypothetical all-equity Odlum Brown Model Portfolio as a base, Mark works closely with each client to build a portfolio of securities that takes these individual needs into account.
Mark brings almost 20 years of financial and business experience to his clients at Odlum Brown Limited:
- Founded his first business at 22 years of age and built it to $6 million in revenues before selling.
- Founded his second business and sold it shortly before his 30th birthday.
- Received the Certified Management Accountants Society of BC’s province-wide Top Talent Award in 2009.
- Was a core member of the team that formed entrepreneurship@UBC, including the creation of an early stage investment fund, which has supported or invested in 27 student-led businesses.
- Chartered Professional Accountant, Certified Management Accountant
- Bachelor of Arts (Economics) from the University of British Columbia
- Wealth Management Essentials, Canadian Securities Course and Conduct and Practices Handbook Course from the Canadian Securities Institute
Community Involvement and Interests
- Director, Greater Victoria Harbour Authority
- Director, Tourism Victoria
- Director, Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce
- Monthly CFAX 1070 radio segment on entrepreneurship
- Founder, J. Donald Mawhinney, QC, Lectureship in Professional Ethics, Peter A. Allard School of Law, UBC
- Past Chair and co-founder, Fairway Gorge Paddling Club Society
- Past Chair, Victoria Dragon Boat Festival Society
- Director, UBC Alumni Association (2003 to 2012)
- Co-Chair, UBC Alumni Centre Committee (2003 to 2013)
In his spare time, Mark enjoys volunteering, reading periodicals and non-fiction books, jogging and biking. He and his wife enjoy walking their Wheaten Terrier and spending time on Mayne Island in BC’s Southern Gulf Islands.